Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy Lashes Out At Unappreciative Fans
Monday, March 18, 2002 @ 5:02 PM
||Mike Portnoy Addresses The Dis|
I cannot believe some of the crap I am reading since the 2nd Chicago show (especially over at DT.NET, but for some reason I am unable to post there at the moment)....
Myself and some of the other band members are truly surprised (well actually, maybe not!) and frankly disgusted at the immature and unappreciative behavoir of some of the fans who couldn't handle our choice of set-list and album cover at this "special show."
Was the other 2 hours of DT material that night NOT ENOUGH????
Or what about the 3 hours of different DT material played the previous night?
(I heard somebody complain that they didn't like the particular song selection from those 2 hours of DT material at the 2nd show....I thought a WDADU track was pretty special....and what about an LTE track as well??? There are many people who I'm sure would have payed good money to see the set-list played that 2nd night...but of course we can never please everyone...)
Let me spell it out once and for all to avoid any future disappointment:
IF DT PLAYS 2 NIGHTS IN YOUR CITY, AND YOU CANNOT HANDLE AN "EXPERIMENTAL" SET-LIST OR ANYTHING ELSE OUT OF THE "ORDINARY", DO NOT COME TO THE 2ND SHOW!
IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A TICKET FOR THE 2ND NIGHT AT THE BEACON THEATER IN NYC, AND FALL UNDER THE ABOVE CATAGORY, DO YOURSELVES AND THE BAND A FAVOR AND SELL YOUR TICKETS!!!!
I'M SURE THERE ARE MANY DT FANS AROUND THE WORLD THAT WOULD LOVE TO BUY YOUR TICKETS AND BE A PART OF SUCH A "UNIQUE" AND "SPECIAL" EVENING.
Now, with all of that aside - I must thank all of the great fans in Chicago with us that night that made it such an enjoyable show for us....the crowd was amazing and dispite what some a**holes have posted, it was one of my favorite shows so far on the entire 2002 tour.
There may have been 5% of the crowd complaining because they couldn't handle hearing a Metallica album covered in its entirety, but I was more focused on the other 95% who, like us, were totally soaking up the moment of being a part of something special & different.
Dream Theater's music is about being open-minded, experimental and above all, UNPREDICTABLE.
I design our set-lists and shows in the same manner....
If you cannot handle us changing set-lists from night to night, playing B-sides, not playing Pull Me Under or Metropolis everynight, or covering a classic album in its entirety (whether it be Metallica, Rush, the Grateful Dead or Britney Spears), then please step aside and make room for the fans who can.....
Mike Portnoy & DT
Please log in to view RANTS
If you don't have a username, click here to create an account!