Saturday, April 5, 2003 @ 6:53 PM
- advertisement -
I’m back! Glutton for punishment you see. This is a more improved offering than what I listed before. If you like Rhapsody this may be interesting to you--as a novelty, that is.
Angels singing, trumpets (hey, I can identify one!), more of this epic-sounding vocal delivery. It’s extremely over the top vocal overlays. Even more keyboards than before, making more of those sugary sweet melodies. However, the main vocals are more confident, and that makes this a little more believable. Guitar is almost unnoticeable till it’s time for a solo - -which on the whole are good. The rhythm riffing is not noticeable given the over powering elements of the vocal overlays, angels, orchestra. Drumming is still fairly fast, galloping, and over powered by the song arrangement and orchestration, rather than adding to the song. Drums are just buried. Really, this is just over the top overall. It’s not really believable or accessible under any circumstances. And highly over orchestrated, very electronic-medieval sounding. I will say that the drummer does try to keep this more grounded in metal. He triesn that is.
1. “Aenigma” -- make it stop.
2. “War of the Universe” -- Sprinkle the fairy dust around and dance in the woods!
3. “Rider of the Astral Fire” -- Beautiful and haunting intro, with a woman singing.
4. “Zaephyr Skies' Theme” -- This almost rocks! Oops. I was wrong. It doesn’t. Sounds identical to the song “Demonheart” from the previous disc. Hey. No recycling!
5. “Age of Mystic Ice” -- am I done yet?
6. “Prince of the Starlight” -- I’d rather be in the same cell as Charles Manson.
7. “Timeless Oceans” -- Operatic and dramatic vocal delivery.
8. “Demonheart” -- Why? Was this necessary? No. I said no recycling!
9. “New Century's Tarantella” -- You like flutes? Cheese? Drama? I swear this song was in “Fiddler on the Roof!” I knew I’d heard this somewhere before.
10. “Prophet of the Last Eclipse” -- 11:48 MINUTES! Monks chanting intro, and after that I can’t remember. This would make a really nice torture method.